Knowing a few main cooking substitutions can be very useful. This is a handy list for newbies transitioning into more vegan cooking, as well as those who are cooking for someone with specific allergies, or are out of a key ingredient, and you just HAVE to bake that cake today…lol.
Whatever your reasons are, having a few tricks up your sleeve always makes cooking easier. Here are some excellent cooking substitutions you can try in your own kitchen. Unless otherwise noted use the same amount of the substitute as the ingredient you’re replacing.
Eggs (per egg): Choose based on the flavors you are trying to create
• 1/4 Cup Silken Tofu
• 1 TBSP Ground Flax Seed plus 3 Tablespoons Water
• 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
• 1 1/2 tsp Unflavored Vegan Jel by Natural Desserts (made of vegetable gum (no idea what kind), adipic acid, tapioca dextrin, calcium phosphate, and potassium citrate)
• 3 1/2 Tablespoons Agar (derived from seaweed and tasteless)
• 1/2 Cup Mashed Banana [Read more…] about Super Easy Vegan Cooking and Baking Substitutions